3 Medium Red Potatoes (I will use russet and sometimes more than 3, I like leftovers!)
2 Cups Water
1 Small Onion
3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (I have never used because I never have them on hand)
Ground Black Pepper
3 Cups Milk
1 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup Cubed Cooked Ham
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water if necessary; set aside.
3. Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan; cook stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
4. Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk, and sugar to onion. mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Store leftovers, covered in refrigerator.
You can get this recipe and others at: www. grandmaskitchenrecipes.com. I love the recipes I have tried from here.