Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Raspberry Preserves

A couple of years ago I wanted to try something new.  I didn't know what the difference between jam and preserves was, so I decided to test it out.  I made one batch of raspberry jam and one batch of raspberry preserves.  The jam needs pectin, which sets the jam and makes it thicker, the preserves are more liquidy (I know that is not a word, but that is how I roll).  With preserves you don't smash your berries like you do with jam, It does'nt really look like it in the picture, but there are quite a few whole berries in each pint, unlike jam.  I don't mind the seeds, if you do you have have to get rid of half the seed like you do with jam.
At first I was not sure what exactly we would use the preserves for.  Me being one who does not like things to get soggy, definetly did not want them on toast.  What to do??  The first test was vanilla ice cream... umm, YES!!  Delish!  Our next test was pancakes/waffles... WOW!  My hubby and I never, and I pretty much mean never, put maple syrup on them anymore.  Seriously, so good!  When we were down to 2 pints left, my hubby started to get worried!  But don't worry, this year I made two batches, there will be plenty this year.


Easy Raspberry Preserves

8 C. whole raspberries
7 C. Sugar
1/3-1/2 C. lemon juice, depending on the tartness of the berries

PLace berries in a heavy bottomed pan and pour sugar and lemon juice on top.  Set the pot over low heat, stir everything together.  Continue to cook, stirring occasionally.  As soon as you notice the first signs of boil, set timer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat when the timer goes off.  Cool to room temperature in the pan, then transfer to jars.  The preserves will keep in the freezer for up to 3 years, or a few months in the fridge.  
I actually process the preserves in a hot bath so that I can store them in my storage room.  Process them in the hot bath for 10 minutes (after the water comes to a full a boil).

Enjoy!
Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...