Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thankful Tree


On Monday night we have what we call Family Home Evening.  This is a time we spend together as a family.  My husband and I come up with a lesson or thought of something that we need to teach our children, or sometimes something that we need to be reminded of.  A lot of times we spend that night playing games as a family, or watching a movie, just "family time."  
Well, this Sunday was a pretty rough day for me, I had a very negative attitude and my poor children felt the brunt end of that.  So after church I had a young lady come over and I went to Austin's office (since he was on call and not at home) and sat and talked it all out... for 3 hours.  I came to the realization that we were looking at all the negative aspects and results that come from opening a new business, instead of looking at all the positive, which is a ton!  And because of this I had a negative, grumpy attitude about EVERYTHING!  I had been seeing all of these posts on Facebook of people stating the many things they were thankful for and it gave me a great idea for Family Home Evening.  
I went outside and cut a bunch of branches off our Aspens and Willow trees (around 18"-24").  The kids were in charge of cutting some fall colored cardstock, and I cut a bunch of string.  My little son got to punch holes in the squares.  After dinner everything was ready for our lesson (which we gave while playing Dominoes).  The kids were all pretty excited because they had helped get it ready but had no idea what it was.  So while we were playing we started to talk to them about all that we have that we can be grateful for, and how we need to ALWAYS remember that, not just on Thanksgiving day.  We taught them that when we are thankful we are happy, because it helps us remember all the little things that can bring happiness to our lives.  It turned out to be such a good discussion.  After the game, during the treats, I asked the kids to each think of two things they are thankful for, and then to fill out one each day until next week.  I was so amazed with them!  One of my daughters filled out 12 papers, even my 5 year old son filled out 3.  They were so excited to think of things.  It was a very special moment for me.  It really made me realize I have little moments like these to be thankful for everyday of my life.  
Since Sunday evening I have tried so hard to have a better attitude.  Being positive is a lot harder than negative, but I can say that it is working.  I can tell that I am happier, and last night I slept better that I have for months (probably since we opened our office).  So, now my goal if to remember that...FOREVER!

Happy Thanksgiving!
~Rachel~

PS.  I think this would be a fun activity to have set up for your family on Thanksgiving Day, and be able to watch your tree grow throughout the day.  We have so much to be thankful for.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...