Thursday, November 3, 2011

Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Soup

We get bountiful baskets quite often and it is about this time of the year when I start getting squashes that I have no idea what to do with them.  Some I have never heard of.  Last year we got a BIG butternut squash in the basket and I went in search for a new and interesting recipe to try.  When I talked to Mom she said she had just tried a good one, and this is it.  We tried it and everyone loved it.  I have to admit though, I did not mention that it was a squash soup until after dinner was over.  Austin DID NOT believe me, but he still likes it!  ;)

So here it is...

1 1/2 - 2 lb. butternut squash.  Cut, clean out, and lightly coat the cut side with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, or spray with olive oil.  Bake on a cookie sheet with the cut side down.  Bake at 350 for about one hour or until soft.

Remove from oven, cool, remove skin.  Place squash in blender with 2 cups chicken stock; pulse until smooth.

While squash is baking, cut a Kilbasa sausage into slices and then into small pieces, if desired.  Simmer with 2 1/2 C. chopped onion until onion is tender and sausage is browned.  Drain off grease and set aside.

In a pot, cook 1 C. wild rice in 4 C. of chicken stock until rice is tender.  Remove from heat.  Cool.

In a large pot add squash mixture and 6 additional cups of chicken stock; simmer.  Then add the onion/sausage along with 2 cans drained whole kernel corn.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add rice and simmer for another 10 minutes.  Just before serving add 1 1/2 C half and half and heat on low until soup is warm.  Top with T. chopped Parsley; season with salt and pepper.


My family are not fans of onions, so I do not include the onion at all. 






Grocery list:
 1 1/2 - 2 lb butternut squash
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Onion
Kilbasa sausage (I have omitted this before, but we like it included better)
1 C. wild rice
12 C. chicken stock
2 cans of whole kernel corn
1 1/2 C. half and half  (I have substituted whole milk when I forgot the 1/2 and 1/2)
Parsley for garnish, if you like

Enjoy!! 

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...