Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It is THAT time of the year again....

ZUCCHINI TIME!!

So this is the time of the year that you hope, beyond all hope, that your neighbors, family and friends did not plant any zucchini, and if they did you hope theirs died, because you have enough to share with your whole neighborhood and more.  :)  You know what I am talking about, right?  
Well, I am in that position now.  We ever only plant one zucchini plant and we still always have WAY more than we can handle (and we love zucchini bread).
This week alone we picked 10, yes 10, zucchinis.  More than enough to make dozens of loaves of bread.  I was so excited when my husband told me of an elderly gentleman in our ward who is celebrating his 85th birthday this week (one loaf down!)
So anyway, today is bread making day, so we can use this zucchini that is taking over my kitchen.
I cannot remember where I found this recipe, or who was the wonderful person that shared it with me, but we have been using it for years, and I love it!!



Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 C. oil
2 C. sugar (I use 1 C. brown and 1 C. white)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp cinnamon
2 C. grated zucchini (seeds scraped out)
3 tsp. vanilla
3 C. Flour

Preheat oven to 325*
Beat the eggs well.  Add oil.  Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Pour into greased loaf pans, filling 3/4 full.  Bake for one hour at 325*
This makes about 1 large loaf pan with 2 little, or almost 2 large loaf pans.
I take the smaller pans out at 45 minutes and check the middle with a toothpick to see if they are done.  Sometimes they need just a little bit longer.

Depending upon how big you let your zucchini grow, it usually takes one per batch.  I picked most of mine this time when they were about 12" long and that was about perfect.  But if you love to let them get huge, be my guest, just more bread for you!

 I use a small spoon and scoop out the seeds in the center.

 My wonderful husband got me a cool grater attachment for my kitchen aid that works fabulously, but you can use any grater and grate up the zucchini.

The finished product!  The house smells so wonderful right now!!

~Rachel~

1 comments:

Steele, Amy, Abi said...

We love Zucchini bread. I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks.

Wish you were my neighbor so you could give me some zucchini.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...