Monday, July 2, 2012

Sesame Beef

During this pregnancy I have been craving, or maybe desiring to eat, Oriental foods.  They always sound good to me.  We even went to a celebration with all kinds of food booths, and I wanted Mongolian.  Oh well, nothing wrong with that!  I have been making all kinds of Oriental food though.  A few weeks ago I ran across this recipe and have been dying to try it.  Finally the broccoli lasted more than a day in my house (my kids LOVE streamed broccoli) and so we tried it!  It was delish!!  The meat was so tender.  And the best part, it was easy!  It took me about 20 minutes total in prep time.  Awesome!


Sesame Beef

Makes 6 servings
Found in LDS Living Magazine

1 1/2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 1/2 C. beef broth
1/2 C. oyster sauce
1/2-1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
1/4 C. water
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
hot cooked rice (optional)
Toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)

1. In a slow cooker, arrange beef strips, pour beef broth and oyster sauce over the beef.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until beef is very tender.
3. Place broccoli in microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup water.  Microwave 4-5 minutes until broccoli is tender.
4. In a cup, combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cooking liquid, stir until smooth.  Add to slow cooker 15-20 minutes before ready to serve.  Stir well and combine.
5. Drain the broccoli and stir into the slow cooker.
6. Cook uncovered on HIGH for about 15 minutes until sauce is thickened.
7. Serve over hot, cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds.


Ok, a few "Rachel changes":
I steamed my broccoli for about 4-5 minutes.  I just like that better than boiled broccoli.  
And a tip my Mom taught me many years ago, cornstarch needs to be mixed together with COLD water, or you will always have lumps.  Now I have to admit, I followed the recipe the other day, and I was so disappointed with all the lumps, so instead of adding that cornstarch mixture, I got another cup and mixed the cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of COLD water and it was smooth in about 5 seconds.  So just a little tip there.  Cornstarch needs cold water.
I am sorry that I did not remember to take any pictures.  When I did remember, the next day, there was only a little beef left, no broccoli.  I will get one on here next time I make this dish!

~Rachel~

1 comments:

Adam & Michelle Gooch said...

I made this last weekend it was SOOO good!! But all of your recipes you share are! :) Thanks Rachy!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...