Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Ok, this recipe is one of our favorites, and I got it from one of my favorite sites...Our Best Bites!  We have a revolving "Kid of the Week" schedule, and with that schedule the "kid" gets to help with the meal planning and prepping.  Last week my daughter was telling me that this year she wants to always choose to eat hot lunch on the days they are serving "Crispitos"  (my kids only get to pick 2-3 days a month they eat school lunch).  When I asked what that was she started describing Taquitos.  I said, "How about we make some this week?" "Really?  You can help me do that?"  "Of course," I respond, "I am Super Woman, remember?" Ha ha!!  I am not, I wish I were, but I am not!  But I can make taquitos with the help of Our Best Bites!  :)



Creamy Chicken Taquitos

1/3 C. (3 oz) cream cheese
1/4 C. green salsa
1 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T. chopped cilantro
2 T. sliced green onions
2 C. shredded cooked chicken
1 C. grated pepper jack
corn tortillas (I use flour if that is what I have on hand)
Kosher salt
cooking spray

Heat oven to 425.  Line baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.  Heat cream cheese in microwave for 25-30 seconds, so it is soft and easy to stir.  Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic.  Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions.  Add chicken and cheese and combine well.  You can prepare up to this step ahead of time and just keep in the fridge.
Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. Usually 20-25 seconds will do.  
Place 2-3 T. of chicken mixture on the lower third of the tortilla, keeping it about a 1/2 inch from the edges.  Roll up the tortilla and place seam side down on a baking sheet, not touching each other.  Spray lightly with cooking spray or brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.  Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.  Serve with sour cream.

This is one of those dishes that I like to make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for another meal another day.  They freeze up great! 

~Rachel~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...