Thursday, September 6, 2012

Blackberry Peach Freezer Jam

This weekend, I was at my in-laws house, where there were 6 ladies.  What usually happens when you get that many together? Well in my case, it is usually cooking! Which I love, so it is always bound to be a good time.  When I got there, there was fruit everywhere the eye could see and some major plans for jam.  Jams of every kind! It seemed like the more time we spent in the kitchen, the more creative our minds became.  Someone came up with the brilliant idea of making blackberry peach jam.  Delicious? I'd say so! Of course we didn't have blackberries, so we couldn't go through with the plan.  I'm pretty sure I lucked out though because when I went to my parent's house to visit them, I was just in time to help them pick blackberries.  4 gallons later, I was counting down the minutes to when I could get home to make my own blackberry peach jam.  As life usually happens, when we got home, there were more important things to do than making jam.  But this morning I woke up early so I could make it before anything else took priority, and now I have to admit, I am in love.  Wow! This stuff is amazing!! Not only is it delicious, but it is super easy too!! I am so glad for those creative minds, who come up with ideas like this. 



Blackberry Peach Freezer Jam
1 package of Sure Jell premium fruit pectin
1 1/2 pt blackberries, which is 2 cups crushed
1 1/4 lb peaches, which is 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peaches
7 cups sugar

Wash and rinse the containers, which I used Ball 8 oz plastic freezer jars.
Prepare the fruit and mash it 1 cup at a time, with a potato masher or pulse setting on a blender.
Put measured amount of fruit in a large bowl.
Pour exact amount of sugar in the fruit and stir well.  Let stand for 10 minutes.
Stir 1 box of Sure Jell and 3/4 cup water in small saucepan.  Bring to boil and stir for 1 minute.
Add pectin mixture to the fruit mixture and stir until the sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy.
Pour into containers.  Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours, then freeze.
(These directions are out of the Sure Jell box).
Enjoy!
Melanie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...