Saturday, September 22, 2012

Jalapeno Jelly

A couple of years ago Stacy wanted me to try some Jalapeno Jelly.  She told me over and over again how great it was.  Well, me, being the one who DOES NOT like spicy food, at all, kept telling her no.  She told me over and over again that it is not spicy, it is sweet.  Yeah right, it has the Jalapeno in the name! It has to be hot, are you kidding me!  Well, I have a husband who loves spicy food, and loves jalapenos, so he told her yes.  She shipped us a jar she wanted us to have it that bad!  :)  Austin tried it and LOVED it!  And told me to just try one little bit on a cracker with cream cheese.  He promised it was not hot.  So I tried the tiniest little dab I could get... it was DELICIOUS!!!  We ate about half the jar right then and there.  Seriously, so good.  Last year I wanted to make some, but my jalapeno plant only grew one pepper.  This year I had enough to add one to each of my 3 batches of salsa and to make a batch of jelly.
This is so good.  I hope you are not as stubborn as I was and try this really soon.    



Jalapeno Jelly
makes 6 half pint jars

3/4 lbs Jalapenos, seeded
2 C. cider vinegar, divided
6 C. sugar   (see why it is sweet?)
2 pouches of liquid pectin
green food coloring, optional

Wash, drain, and remove stems and seeds from peppers.  Puree peppers and 1 C. vinegar.  In a pot combine puree, remaining vinegar and sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Boil for 10 minutes stirring constantly. **
Stir in pectin and return to a rolling boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and skim foam.  Add a few drops of food coloring if desired.  Laddle into hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace.  Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.

**When this says stir constantly, I would do that!  I didn't, and within 30 seconds of me not stirring my jelly was boiling over.  What a mess it was to clean up!!  Especially because most of it burned to the stove.  So please, save yourself some trouble and stir constantly.  

~Rachel~

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to try this. Thanks for sharing! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...