Friday, January 18, 2013

Weight Loss Yoga for Beginners

I am a yoga fanatic now! I am someone who is not very flexible in some ways (like I can't even touch my toes) so I always thought I wouldn't like yoga or be very good at it, but boy was i wrong! Yoga is something I started a few months ago because I have a very busy life and I don't handle stress very well so I was looking for something that could help me handle stress and has the added benefits of being fantastic for your body in so many ways! Here are 20 of the hundreds of reasons yoga is awesome! :)

It has become a staple in my routine at least 3 times a week and I have come to be so excited about my alone time doing yoga! I have never felt so peaceful and relaxed as after I'm done with even just a ten minute session. I am becoming more flexible and can almost touch my toes now! :) Honestly, if you are worried that you won't be able to do it well beacuse of flexibility, don't worry about it. There are some very basic poses that feel fantastic that anyone could do. Sometimes if they are doing a pose that is too difficult for me, I will just switch to one I love so that I feel comfortable and then move on. Someday I hope to be able to do poses like this

or even these
 

 Melanie and I got together last night to do yoga and it was SOOO much fun! Of course we ate cookies afterward which probably counterbalanced any progress we made in our bodies from the yoga :) But....whatev! 

Here is a link to the lady on youtube Tara Stiles, an awesome yoga instructor from New York, who I just love! She has a ton of videos on youtube so search Tara Stiles yoga and choose 1 or 2. It seems like most of them are about 10 minutes but she has a full 50 minute class on there which I am dying to try. But here is a great one that I really like. Enjoy!



For a great breakfast to start your day before your yoga session, try oatmeal and adding a frozen fruit to it like blueberries or strawberries.  I will often eat this because it is quick and easy and adds great nutrition to your diet.  Blueberries are great antioxidants and power fruits so they are my go-to fruit and I have them in my freezer year round for this reason!  Just add 1/4-1/2 cup and follow the directions for making the oatmeal.  It us usually adding 1/2 cup of water and cooking for about 2 minutes in the microwave.  I usually stir and cook just a little longer and then add a little milk (or silk-I love this substitute for regular milk!).



* Mary *

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...