Friday, February 6, 2015

Salisbury Steak, Mashed Potatoes, and Cooked Carrots





Salisbury Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Cooked Carrots

Mashed Potatoes
   I discovered a delicious twist to mashed potatoes about 2 months ago, totally because I was out of milk.  Here is what I did. . .  After boiling about 6 medium potatoes until tender, I mashed them in my bosch.  I added about 2 tbsp of butter.  I went to go add milk to make it creamy and saw I was out of milk.  I did have some sour cream though.  I added about 1/2 cup of sour cream.  I was very skeptical about how they turned out, but they were incredible!  So you can do the traditional mashed with milk in them or try sour cream.
   Another thing I like to do is just add a packet of ranch dressing powder if I am feeling to lazy to make gravy.  It is also really good.

Simple Gravy
   This is if you do not have drippings from a meat or if you don't have enough drippings, you can supplement with this. . .
   Take about 1 cup of water and 1 bullion cube.  You can use beef or chicken depending on what you fixed for dinner.  Make sure the bullion cube gets either smashed by you or desolves completely in the water.  Bring this to a boil.  While it is warming up, put 1-2 tbsp of all-purpose flour in a cup and add water until it makes it just runnier than a paste.  I would use a fork or wisk for this part so you make it smooth.   If it is still sticking to your fork or wisk, add just a little more.  One the broth is boiling, add your mixture into it and stir with your wisk until it becomes thickened.  It will only take a minute or two.  If it does not get thick, repeat the flour/water step and make a little less watery.

Cooked Carrots
   In a skillet, add however many carrots will feed your family.  I add about 2 cups for my family of 4 1/2 (my baby doesn't eat a whole lot yet).  Fill the skillet with water until it is just above the carrots.  Add just about 1 tbsp of butter, salt and pepper.  Turn the stove on medium and cook until the carrots are tender.  Drain out the rest of the water and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...